May 18, 2026

FacebookTwitterInstagramYouTube
  • Home
  • News
  • Events
  • Photos
  • Listen Live
MENU
  • Home
  • News
  • Events
  • Photos
  • Listen Live

Xabi Alonso hired by Chelsea on 4-year deal in return to coaching after Real Madrid disappointment

May 17, 2026 at 7:23 am Staff
  • Top Stories
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Reddit
  • +1
  • Pocket
  • LinkedIn

Real Madrid's head coach Xabi Alonso looks on before the Spanish La Liga soccer match between Real Madrid and Real Betis Sevilla in Madrid, Spain, Jan. 4, 2026. (AP Photo/Pablo Garcia, File)

2026-05-17T08:15:10Z

Chelsea hired Xabi Alonso as its latest coach on a four-year deal on Sunday, with the Spaniard making his return to management after a disappointing eight-month spell at Real Madrid.

Alonso will formally take charge on July 1 as the replacement for Liam Rosenior, who was fired last month, and will become the fifth permanent coach appointed by Chelsea’s American owners Todd Boehly and Clearlake Capital since they bought the club in 2022.

Alonso lasted eight months at Madrid before leaving the club by mutual consent in January after poor results and widespread media reports that he lost control of the locker room. That damaged his strong reputation built at Bayer Leverkusen, which he led to the German title and an unbeaten domestic campaign in the 2023-24 season.

Chelsea described Alonso as “one of the most respected figures in the modern game.”

“From my conversations with the ownership group and sporting leadership, it is clear we share the same ambition,” Alonso said in a Chelsea statement. “We want to build a team capable of competing consistently at the highest level and fighting for trophies.”

Chelsea looks highly unlikely to be in next season’s Champions League, however, and might miss out on European competition entirely. The club was guaranteed a trophyless season by losing to Manchester City in the FA Cup final on Saturday, though did win the Club World Cup last summer.

After an unseemly end to Rosenior’s turbulent tenure, Chelsea’s ownership said it would be undertaking “a process of self-reflection” ahead of its next coaching appointment, amid growing tension among supporters about the direction of an increasingly dysfunctional club and its massive financial concerns following years of heavy spending.

Since the 2022 purchase of Chelsea by a consortium fronted by Boehly, part-owner of the Los Angeles Dodgers, and largely funded by private equity company Clearlake Capital, the club’s leadership has spent around $2.5 billion on new, mostly young and unproven players on long contracts and taken on a debt approaching $2 billion, according to figures compiled by The Athletic.

Chelsea’s most recent financial results revealed the club made pre-tax losses of $350 million, a record in the Premier League era.

It’s with this backdrop that Alonso moves to Chelsea, which he described as “one of the biggest clubs in world football.”

“There is great talent in the squad and huge potential at this football club and it will be my great honor to lead it,” he said. “Now the focus is on hard work, building the right culture and winning trophies.”

___

AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer

STEVE DOUGLAS STEVE DOUGLAS Douglas is a Europe-based sports writer who has covered some of the world’s biggest events for The AP over the last 15 years, notably the men’s soccer World Cup final in 2022. As well as soccer, he handles a range of other sports including golf, cricket and rugby. mailto

Post expires at 8:07am on Monday May 18th, 2026

Leave a Reply Cancel Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Previous Story
On the voting rights trail, bus riders to Montgomery retrace old steps while fighting a new fight
Next Story
On the voting rights trail, bus riders to Montgomery retrace old steps while fighting a new fight

Facebook

95.3 & 96.3 The Bee, WADI & WXWX FM

"Today's Best Country, Yesterday's Favorites and the News You Need!

Info

  • ABOUT
  • ADVERTISE
  • PRIVACY POLICY

New Trend

id5796293-gettyimages-2194442215-donald-trump-op-600x400513108-1

Union Files Lawsuit Against Trump Over Ending Job Protections

id5792650-01152025-dsc04982-marco-rubio-600x400694954-1

Marco Rubio Sworn In as Secretary of State, First Trump Cabinet Official

Social

Facebook Facebook Twitter Twitter Instagram Instagram YouTube YouTube
WADI-FM's on-line public inspection file can be found here on the FCC website. WBIP-AM's on-line public inspection file can be found here on the FCC website. WRJB-FM's on-line public inspection file can be found here on the FCC website.
Need assistance with our online public file? Click here to contact Kix Patterson, Head of Programming and Technology .
© 2026 WADI WRJB- Corinth & Camden Powered by OneCMS™ | Served by InterTech Media LLC
Are you still listening?
3628718371
Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)
2eafbd853ac719d8da1ac9f6d0989b8dcf9c6ab8
1
Loading...