May 17, 2026

FacebookTwitterInstagramYouTube
  • Home
  • News
  • Events
  • Photos
  • Listen Live
MENU
  • Home
  • News
  • Events
  • Photos
  • Listen Live

Venezuela says it deported a close ally of Maduro to face judicial proceedings in US

May 16, 2026 at 6:23 pm Staff
  • Top Stories
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Reddit
  • +1
  • Pocket
  • LinkedIn

Venezuela's President Nicolas Maduro, left, and Alex Saab stand together during an event marking the anniversary of the 1958 coup that overthrew dictator Marcos Perez Jimenez, in Caracas, Venezuela, Jan. 23, 2024. (AP Photo/Jesus Vargas, File)

2026-05-16T22:47:03Z

MIAMI (AP) — Venezuela’s government said Saturday it deported a close ally of Nicolás Maduro to face judicial proceedings in the U.S. less than three years after the business owner was pardoned by President Joe Biden as part of a prisoner swap.

The decision marks a stark reversal for Alex Saab, who Maduro fought tooth and nail to bring home after his previous international arrest in 2020. Now, the Colombian-born business owner, long described by U.S. officials as Maduro’s “bag man,” may be asked to testify against his former protector, who is awaiting trial on drug charges in Manhattan after being captured in a shock raid by the U.S. military in January.

The Venezuelan immigration authority in a short statement Saturday did not explicitly say where it had sent Saab but said the decision was made based on several ongoing criminal investigations in the U.S. The statement’s reference to Saab only as a “Colombian citizen” may have been a nod to Venezuelan law, which prohibits the extradition of its nationals. Following his last arrest, Maduro and acting President Delcy Rodríguez claimed that Saab was a Venezuelan diplomat who had been illegally detained during a refueling stop while en route to Iran for an important humanitarian mission.

The Associated Press reported in February that federal prosecutors have been digging for months into Saab’s role in an alleged bribery conspiracy involving Venezuelan government contracts to import food.

The investigation stems from a 2021 case the Justice Department brought against Saab’s longtime partner, Alvaro Pulido, a former law enforcement official said. That prosecution, out of Miami, centers around the so-called CLAP program set up by Maduro to provide staples — rice, corn flour, cooking oil — to poor Venezuelans struggling to feed themselves at a time of rampant hyperinflation and a crumbling currency.

Saab, 54, amassed a fortune through Venezuelan government contracts. But he fell out of favor with the country’s new leadership that took power following Maduro’s ouster. Since taking over from Maduro on Jan. 3, Rodríguez demoted Saab, firing him from her Cabinet and stripping him of his role as the main conduit for foreign companies looking to invest in Venezuela. For months conflicting news accounts have circulated that he was imprisoned or under house arrest.

The Justice Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

___

Associated Press writer Eric Tucker contributed to this report from Washington

Venezuelan law prohibits the extradition of its own nationals,

JOSHUA GOODMAN JOSHUA GOODMAN Goodman is a Miami-based investigative reporter who writes about the intersection of crime, corruption, drug trafficking and politics in Latin America. He previously spent two decades reporting from South America. twitter mailto

Post expires at 12:07am on Monday May 18th, 2026

Leave a Reply Cancel Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Previous Story
The Eurovision Song Contest reaches its grand final in Vienna with pop and protests
Next Story
WATCH: Dramatic ocean rescue off the California coast

Facebook

95.3 & 96.3 The Bee, WADI & WXWX FM

"Today's Best Country, Yesterday's Favorites and the News You Need!

Info

  • ABOUT
  • ADVERTISE
  • PRIVACY POLICY

New Trend

id5796293-gettyimages-2194442215-donald-trump-op-600x400513108-1

Union Files Lawsuit Against Trump Over Ending Job Protections

id5792650-01152025-dsc04982-marco-rubio-600x400694954-1

Marco Rubio Sworn In as Secretary of State, First Trump Cabinet Official

Social

Facebook Facebook Twitter Twitter Instagram Instagram YouTube YouTube
WADI-FM's on-line public inspection file can be found here on the FCC website. WBIP-AM's on-line public inspection file can be found here on the FCC website. WRJB-FM's on-line public inspection file can be found here on the FCC website.
Need assistance with our online public file? Click here to contact Kix Patterson, Head of Programming and Technology .
© 2026 WADI WRJB- Corinth & Camden Powered by OneCMS™ | Served by InterTech Media LLC
Are you still listening?
3628718371
Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)
2eafbd853ac719d8da1ac9f6d0989b8dcf9c6ab8
1
Loading...