February 21, 2026

FacebookTwitterInstagramYouTube
  • Home
  • News
  • Events
  • Photos
  • Listen Live
MENU
  • Home
  • News
  • Events
  • Photos
  • Listen Live

Macron orders review of violent activist groups after fatal beating of far-right activist

February 21, 2026 at 5:23 am Staff
  • Top Stories
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Reddit
  • +1
  • Pocket
  • LinkedIn

France's President Emmanuel Macron attends the opening of the International Agriculture Fair in Paris, Saturday, Feb. 21, 2026. (AP Photo/Aurelien Morissard, Pool)

2026-02-21T10:39:54Z

LYON, France (AP) — French President Emmanuel Macron will hold meetings next week to review violent activist groups, after a far-right student died from a beating in Lyon in an incident that highlighted a climate of deep political tensions ahead of next year’s presidential vote.

Speaking at the Paris agriculture fair, Macron called on “everyone to remain calm” ahead of Saturday’s tributes organized by far-right groups to Quentin Deranque, a 23-year-old who died of brain injuries in a hospital last week. The demonstrations will take place under heavy police scrutiny.

“This is a moment of remembrance and respect for this young compatriot who was killed, for his family and loved ones. That must come first. And then it is a moment of firmness and responsibility,” Macron said.

Seven people have been handed preliminary charges. The Lyon public prosecutor’s office requested that each of them be charged with intentional homicide, aggravated violence and criminal conspiracy. Six of the accused were charged on all three counts. The seventh was charged with complicity in intentional homicide, aggravated violence and criminal conspiracy.

Deranque was attacked during a fight that erupted between far-left and far-right supporters on the margins of a student meeting where a far-left lawmaker, Rima Hassan, was a keynote speaker.

Macron said he will hold a meeting with ministers to carry out a comprehensive review of all violent activist groups that have links to political parties. He hinted that some groups could be dismantled.

“In the Republic, no violence is legitimate,” he said. “There is no place for militias, wherever they come from. We must be absolutely uncompromising.”

The main tribute to Deranque was scheduled later Saturday in Lyon, where clashes between far-right activists and far-left groups have become frequent. Lyon’s far-left-leaning militant groups are more recent and were created in reaction to the many far-right groups that have been present for several decades. The city is seen by intelligence services as the cradle of far-right activism in France.

Deranque’s parents have also called for calm and won’t take part in the tribute, which has not been banned by French authorities.

Deranque’s death triggered a storm of recriminations, mostly blaming France Unbowed and its leader Jean-Luc Mélenchon. Among the suspects is the parliamentary aide of a France Unbowed lawmaker, Raphaël Arnault, who set up the anti-fascist group The Young Guard.

France Unbowed’s opponents accuse it of fomenting violence and tensions with its combative far-left politics. Mélenchon has condemned the violence and insisted that his party bore no blame for the tragedy.

Mélenchon stood for the presidency in 2012, 2017 and 2022, and failed to advance to the decisive runoff round. He is preparing for another expected run next year, when Macron’s second and last term ends.

France is holding municipal elections next month and right-wing political forces have been using the incident to demonize France Unbowed. Far-right National Rally leader Jordan Bardella has called for a common front against Mélenchon’s party while criticism also came from prominent figures on the left.

Post expires at 6:06am on Sunday February 22nd, 2026

Leave a Reply Cancel Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Previous Story
Utah’s Supreme Court rejects appeal to overturn congressional map with Democratic-leaning district
Next Story
Over 40 million Americans on alert for winter storm conditions over the weekend

Facebook

95.3 & 96.3 The Bee, WADI & WXWX FM

"Today's Best Country, Yesterday's Favorites and the News You Need!

Info

  • ABOUT
  • ADVERTISE
  • PRIVACY POLICY

New Trend

id5796293-gettyimages-2194442215-donald-trump-op-600x400513108-1

Union Files Lawsuit Against Trump Over Ending Job Protections

id5792650-01152025-dsc04982-marco-rubio-600x400694954-1

Marco Rubio Sworn In as Secretary of State, First Trump Cabinet Official

Social

Facebook Facebook Twitter Twitter Instagram Instagram YouTube YouTube
WADI-FM's on-line public inspection file can be found here on the FCC website. WBIP-AM's on-line public inspection file can be found here on the FCC website. WRJB-FM's on-line public inspection file can be found here on the FCC website.
Need assistance with our online public file? Click here to contact Kix Patterson, Head of Programming and Technology .
WADI WRJB- Corinth & Camden © 2026 Powered by OneCMS™ | Served by InterTech Media LLC
Are you still listening?
3628718208
Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)
6d506ee68f316a0412bee92f072e5e7f93746ff5
1
Loading...