February 19, 2026

FacebookTwitterInstagramYouTube
  • Home
  • News
  • Events
  • Photos
  • Listen Live
MENU
  • Home
  • News
  • Events
  • Photos
  • Listen Live

Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg testifies in landmark trial over social media addiction claims

February 19, 2026 at 5:00 am Staff
  • Top Stories
  • Tweet
  • Share
  • Reddit
  • +1
  • Pocket
  • LinkedIn
Mark Zuckerberg speaks at Georgetown University in Washington^ DC. Taken on Sep-19-25

Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg appeared in a Los Angeles courtroom to testify in a closely watched case that could reshape how courts view social media companies’ responsibility for young users’ well-being.

The trial, unfolding in Los Angeles County Superior Court, is the first of more than 1,500 related lawsuits nationwide to reach a jury. The lead plaintiff, a 20-year-old woman identified in court as K.G.M. — also referred to as “Kaley” in filings — claims she began using platforms like Facebook, Instagram and YouTube as a child and became addicted. She alleges features such as recommendation algorithms and endless scrolling fueled compulsive use that contributed to anxiety, depression and body image struggles. Her attorney, Mark Lanier, told jurors the case was “as easy as ABC,” meaning “addicting the brains of children.” He argues the companies intentionally built products to maximize engagement among minors for profit.

Zuckerberg was questioned about Instagram’s users under 13 and the company’s strategies to increase engagement, as a trial weighs allegations that Meta – which owns Facebook and Instagram – knowingly provided a product that was addictive and potentially harmful to children and teenagers. The plaintiff’s attorney noted that KGM began using Instagram at the age of 9. While Zuckerberg acknowledged that users under 13 are not permitted on the platform, he pointed out the challenge in enforcing this rule, stating that there are “a meaningful number of people who lie about their age to use our services.” Lanier further questioned Zuckerberg about whether one of Meta’s objectives is to increase the amount of time users spend on Instagram. Zuckerberg explained that the company tracks time spent on the app mainly as a benchmark to assess performance against competitors such as TikTok. “It’s different than us trying to just increase time,” he said. “Just us trying to see how we’re stacking up in the industry.”

Zuckerberg also addressed the issue of Instagram’s beauty filters, which Meta briefly removed after concerns arose that they altered users’ appearances in ways that could encourage plastic surgery. He stated that the platform reinstated the filters to support freedom of expression but emphasized, “we shouldn’t create them ourselves or recommend them.”

Meta strongly disputes all claims in the lawsuit. In a statement at the start of proceedings, a company spokesperson said, “We strongly disagree with these allegations and are confident the evidence will show our longstanding commitment to supporting young people.” The company says it has introduced “meaningful changes,” including teen-specific accounts and parental controls. It also contends the plaintiff had preexisting mental health challenges. Google similarly denied wrongdoing, calling the accusations “simply not true.”

Zuckerberg’s testimony follows last week’s appearance by Instagram chief Adam Mosseri. Mosseri rejected the idea that Instagram is clinically addictive, drawing a distinction between addiction and “problematic use.” He also described the tension between “safety and speech,” noting users often resist when features are limited. When questioned about profits, he said Instagram earns less from teens than any other age group because they are less likely to click on ads.

Aside from Meta, the defendants in the case include YouTube, owned by Google. TikTok and Snap were originally named in the lawsuit, but settled with the plaintiff before trial. They remain involved in other pending cases.

Editorial credit: FotoField / Shutterstock.com

Post expires at 6:26am on Friday February 20th, 2026

Leave a Reply Cancel Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Previous Story
WATCH: This baseball star shares his love of fish with 5th graders
Next Story
Billionaire and former Epstein associate Les Wexner deposed by House Oversight Committee

Facebook

95.3 & 96.3 The Bee, WADI & WXWX FM

"Today's Best Country, Yesterday's Favorites and the News You Need!

Info

  • ABOUT
  • ADVERTISE
  • PRIVACY POLICY

New Trend

id5796293-gettyimages-2194442215-donald-trump-op-600x400513108-1

Union Files Lawsuit Against Trump Over Ending Job Protections

id5792650-01152025-dsc04982-marco-rubio-600x400694954-1

Marco Rubio Sworn In as Secretary of State, First Trump Cabinet Official

Social

Facebook Facebook Twitter Twitter Instagram Instagram YouTube YouTube
WADI-FM's on-line public inspection file can be found here on the FCC website. WBIP-AM's on-line public inspection file can be found here on the FCC website. WRJB-FM's on-line public inspection file can be found here on the FCC website.
Need assistance with our online public file? Click here to contact Kix Patterson, Head of Programming and Technology .
WADI WRJB- Corinth & Camden © 2026 Powered by OneCMS™ | Served by InterTech Media LLC
Are you still listening?
3628718289
Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)
fe33fcd69241164827262423561550ed8af85657
1
Loading...